- Route Malham – Janet’s Foss – Gordale Scar – Dales High Way – Malham Lings – Malham Tarn – Malham Cove
- Distance 8.23 miles
- Duration 5hrs 30 mins
- Getting there Train to Skipton then the number 75 bus
- Weather Sunny, the odd shower, and a relentless driving freezing wind.
Why this route?
- I’ve been wanting to go to Malham since I first heard about the cove but we didn’t make it last summer. It’s a pain to get to anyway and winter you only get from 10:30-16:30 between buses which doesn’t give us much time for a decent length bimble at our usual slow speed. However, this weekend TOH wanted to do a shorter length walk so a shorter walk was ideal.
What did we learn?
- So many! I can see why it is a honey-pot.
- Janet’s Foss
- Gordale Scar and waterfalls (no, we didn’t climb them).
- The walk across the Lings was into a head-wind and too cold to do much other than head down and tramp on, but it was a treat to get away from the crowds. Lunch was a silent affair, interrupted only by birdsong.
- Malham Tarn was pretty but freezing so we didn’t hang around.
- The water sinks – it’s vaguely unnerving watching water just disappear like that.
- Dry valley and Watlowes. It’s just an awe-inspiring landscape.
- The limestone pavements, although a pity to see them so spoiled with litter. I think I prefer the ones at Moughton.
- Malham Cove of course.