- Route Marsden – Tunnel End – Firth Pule – Close Gate Bridge – Willykay Clough – Willmers Green – Willykay Clough – Close Gate Bridge – Waters Road – Tunnel End – Marsden
- Distance 6.64 miles
- Duration 5 hrs 40 mins
- Getting there Train from Leeds to Marsden via Huddersfield
- Weather Sunny and blustery with light showers
Why this route?
- The forecast was for rain north of Skipton again so we went south of Skipton.
- Marsden has good rail links from Leeds.
- The intention was to go south on the Pennine Way then loop round Pule Hill giving a ten mile loop. Two things went wrong with this plan. 1. I went the wrong way leaving Tunnel End, ending up Firth Pule. 2. TOH hurt his foot and so we chose to turn back rather than risk not being able to get back.
What did we learn?
- We absolutely have to go back to Marsden and complete the route. The moors up there were jaw-droppingly beautiful. And empty.
- My navigation is still awful.
- The Huddersfield Narrow Canal. It’s really narrow.
- The Standedge Tunnel, although I was disappointed that the exhibition was closed. We’ll probably try to come back in summer with the kids.
- Close Gate Bridge and Eastergate. Just idyllic.
- Green Owler’s Clough