- Route The Strid – Cony Warren – Flask Brow – The Devil’s Apronful – Simon’s Seat, Great Agill Head – Long Crag – Valley of Desolation – Bolton Abbey
- Distance 9.3m
- Duration 5 hrs 15m
- Getting there Dalesman 874. Note – in winter this means waiting for an hour at Bolton Abbey after sunset and the cafes have closed.
- Weather Cool but dry. Predictibly, cooler up on the fell.
Why this route?
- First snow of the season means staying low as we have no winter skills.
- I’ve been wanting to do Simon’s Seat for a while but had never figured out where all the bus stops were and a full circuit from any given stop was going to be a bit longer than winter buses allow. After walking that section of the Dales Way last week I could design a route.
What did we learn?
- Not really a learning as we can’t control whether marked paths are open or not, but we did do our first bush-whacking.
- Seeing the Wharfe racing.
- The fiery moonscape that is the fell in autumn.