- Route Ilkley Moor based on Walking Englishman’s route (Mostly – we came back through a rocky valley, but I don’t think it’s the one his route suggests as we went through the plantation by the Cow and Calf.)
- Distance 9m round trip from Ilkley station, including detour through town to the park at the end.
- Duration 6.5 hours
- Getting there Train from Leeds
- Weather 90 mins of soaking drizzle then dried up, with occasional periods of hot.
Why this route?
- On the Haworth walk the bits the kids liked were crossing streams, scrambling up slopes, and navigating rocky tracks. This walk has all three.
- TOH and I had already walked it so we didn’t need to do much navigating.
- Transport was fast and simple.
What did we learn?
- Excellent walk that ticked all the kids’ boxes.
- Happy, excited children growing in confidence virtually as we watched.
- The kids used Mission Explore: National Parks and had a whale of a time with it. Highly recommended.
- Glorious purple heather on the moor.
- Dashing streams – just wet enough to make it fun for the kids without entailing wet feet.
- The tarn
- The quarry at the Cow and Calf
- The rocky valley and the footbridge.