- Route Based on Walking Englishman: Grassington, top of Coniston Dib, Coniston Pie, Bare House. I misread the map so didn’t find the path down through Conistone, and we ran out of time to go to Mossdale Scar.
- Distance 8.78 miles
- Duration 4 hrs 55
- Getting there Saturday so no direct Dales Bus. Cost made affordable by the Dales Rambler ticket.
- Weather Typical British summer: not warm enough for shorts but not cold enough for a jumper
Why this route?
- As usual, inspired by Walking Englishman. We were uninspired by Bailden so wanted to get into the true Dales. Journey times to Grassington still give you a decent day’s walk.
What did we learn?
- The backpacks were an excellent investment.
- The many many sheepfolds
- Limestone pavements just outside Grassington
- Lime kiln just off the Dales Way – reminder that people of the Dales have been harvesting its resources for centuries, whether large or small scale.
- Top half of the Dib – I need to see the rest of it!
- Conistone Pie – superb views over the valley
- Kilnsey Crag
- Bare House
- Linton Falls