- Route Walkingenglishman’s circular walk from Settle via Stainforth Force and via Catrigg Force. We turned onto the Pennine Bridleway after the Winskill Caves, so missed Victoria Cave.
- Distance No GPS, but roughly 7 miles
- Duration No GPS, but roughly 5 hours
- Getting there The fabulous Settle to Carlisle line with day ranger tickets. A bargain with a two together railcard.
- Weather Cool and overcast
Why this route?
- We’d been planning to try the Settle to Carlisle line anyway.
- The route sounded fabulous with lots of wow moments.
What did we learn?
- We need proper backpacks. Ours have done many miles and carried literally tons of shopping, but they were cheap backpacks and they don’t fit well enough to be comfortable when hiking.
- The compass was a good investment.
- Take one more layer than you think you’ll need. I would have been cold if the temperature had been any lower.
- Even the comparatively easy paths of this route are harder going than your average tow path, which is what we most usually walk. Our off-road stamina definitely needs building up.
- The flowerpot festival.
- Stainforth Force
- Catrigg Force
- The Winskills
- In short, definitely one to do again.